Popular Dog Names
If you are thinking about getting a new dog, one of the first decisions to make is choosing a name for your pup. Naming your new companion can be a tricky task, so why not pick one that has a special meaning?
Here are some of the most popular dog names that evoke a sense of love and affection:
More Name Inspiration to Explore…
- 279 Best Horse Names with Meaning for Your Stallion or Mare
- Best Black Cat Names: 8354 Popular Names for Black Cats (Male and Female!)
- 21 Most Popular Names with Lots of Nicknames – For Both Males and Females!
- E Names For Dogs: Best 5185+ Dog Names that start with E
- How To Name a Cat: 12 Purr-fect Tips to Get You Started!
- B Names For Cats: Best 4837+ Cat Names that start with B
Popular Male Dog Names
When you’re considering a new family pet, it is important to consider your pup’s name carefully, as your name will be a reflection of your relationship and connection with your dog.
Popular male dog names typically fall into two categories: names that represent strength or power, and names that reflect something about the pup’s loving nature.
Here are some of the most popular male dog names, with meanings related to love:
- Liam (strong-willed warrior)
- Connor (hound-lover)
- Jack (God is gracious)
- Leo (lion hearted)
- Max (the greatest)
- Oscar (divine spearman)
- Theo (divine gift)
- Riley (courageous one who loves’s his people)
- Luke (light giving/bringer of love).
Popular Female Dog Names
When it comes to naming your female pup, there are endless possibilities, so why not choose a name that portrays all of the love and affection that you have for her.
From Latin-inspired names to French-derived terms of endearment and everything in between.
Here are some of the most popular female dog names that convey affection:
- Amour – Meaning “love” in French
- Bella – An Italian word meaning “beautiful”
- Carina – An Italian term directly translating to “darling”
- Corazón – Translates to “heart” in Spanish and is a popular choice for many pet owners
- Cupido – Spanish for “cupid” or romantic love
- Dolce – A sweet, endearing name meaning “sweetness” in Italy
- Dulzura – A Spanish name meaning “kindness and sweetness”
- Hugsa – An English nickname for beloved pet creatures
- Muñeca – Meaning “doll” in Spanish, this can be an affectionate way to refer to your furry friend
- Nonamor – The Latin phrase loosely translating to “my love”
- Pechocha – This Spanish word translates as “kiss”
- Pepper/Pepita – A fitting name if your pup likes spices, as it means “pepper” in Spanish
- Rynoor – An English name meaning “love’s light rays”
- Te Amo – Meaning “I love you” originally from Latin
Dog Names With Meaning of Love
Dogs are not only loyal companions, but they can also bring a lot of love into our lives. Dog owners have the special opportunity of picking a name that carries special meaning for them and their dog. Naming a pup can be a fun and meaningful experience.
Here are some dog names with meaning of love to choose from:
Male Dog Names
Naming your male dog something that has a meaning of love is a great way to give it an extra special and meaningful name.
Here is a list of some of the top male dog names with meanings related to love and affection:
- Amar: Hindi for “forever”
- Amour: French for “love”
- Kabibe: Irish Gaelic for “dearest friend”
- Kyamu: Japanese for “title of affection”
- Logan: Gaelic derived from “Lugh,” meaning loyalty, or love
- Adriano/Hadriano (Latin): Derived from “hadria,” meaning deepest affection or adoration
- Romey/Romy (German): Derived from the Greek name Romios, meaning beloved one
- Heureux (French): Refers to one who is lucky in love and life
- Eros/Erin (Greek): Refers to the God of Love and Creativity in literature
- Shwan (Persian): Means passionate meeting
- Timea (Hungarian): Feminine version; means beloved friend, tender hearted
Female Dog Names
When looking for the perfect name for your four-legged friend, why not choose something with a strong connection to love? A name that reflects your pup’s unique personality and sense of connection with you can be incredibly powerful and special.
This list of female dog names with meanings related to love are sure to give you some inspiration:
- Frieda – A Germanic name meaning “peaceful ruler”
- Daphne – A Greek name meaning “lovely one”
- Eloise – A French name meaning “loving one”
- Lorelei – A Germanic name meaning “lovely song”
- Karina – Russian for ‘dear one; beloved’
- Anastasia – The feminine form of the Greek name Anastasios bringer of resurrection and the patron saint of love. It means ‘to love again’ or ‘rebirth’.
- Amara – The Latin word for love or loved one that is often used as a female given name.
- Noemi – Hebrew for darling, beloved or pleasantness. It also has an Italian variant, Noemie, meaning my delight is in her.
- Amorette – French origin derived from the word amour which means sweetheart, lover or beloved in English.
- Isolde – Welsh form through Old English origin which means ice ruler or fair lady, believed to be associated with true and everlasting love.
Unique Dog Names
Finding the perfect name for your pup can be a difficult task, especially if you’re looking for unique dog names with special meaning. Several names that come to mind are those that evoke love and affection, both for your pup and their future owners.
From classic names like Angel and Cupid to vibrant ones like Rio and Harmony, there’s a wide variety of options out there.
Let’s take a look at some of the best ones and what they mean:
Unusual Male Dog Names
When it comes to choosing a name for your male pup, many pet parents are looking for something distinctive and meaningful, yet not too hard to pronounce. Some of these names can also double up as great nicknames!
Here are some unusual male dog names with love-inspired meanings that you and your pup may find just perfect:
- Amore – Italian word for “love”
- Amour – French word for “love”
- Cherish – to treasure or hold dear
- Lief – Dutch word meaning “beloved”
- Mio – Spanish term of endearment meaning “mine”
- Romeo – from Shakespeare’s famous star-crossed lover in Romeo and Juliet
- Sonnet – short poems that frequently use love as a theme
- Valentine – honouring the patron saint of lovers, St. Valentine
- Yado – Japanese term of endearment
Unusual Female Dog Names
When you’re on the hunt for unique, meaningful female dog names, you have a major opportunity to show off your pup’s personality.
Whether it’s an homage to a beloved celebrity or an ode to your pup’s favorite activity, we are positive you’ll find the perfect name in this exhaustive list of more than 200 ideas and their meanings.
From cute and cuddly to strong and sassy, here are some favorite unusual female dog name picks:
- Lorelei – A German mermaid associated with love and prophecy
- CeCe – A nickname for “cecilia” meaning “blind”
- Chloe – Meaning “blooming” or “green shoot”
- Mina – A short form of Wilhelmina meaning “will helmet”
- Daisy – A flower beloved for its beauty
- Callie – A variation of “calumny” signifying holy or beautiful
- Coco – Another pet name for Colette, which means victorious people
- Bella/Belle – Meaning beautiful in Latin and French respectively
- Freya – An old Norse mythic goddess associated with love, sex fertility and beauty
- Faunas/Fauna – signifying of nature or animal life
- Pixie – Short for pixie-like creatures often associated with fairies, elves and sprites
- Amaretto – An Italian liqueur flavor (just in case your pup loves treats!)
Cute Dog Names
Dogs are one of the most loyal and loving animals, and they deserve to have a name that reflects that bond. Cute dog names are becoming increasingly popular to show the love between them and their owners.
Whether you want a name that reflects the type of breed you have, or something that’s unique and special, these cute dog names can help.
Cute Male Dog Names
When it comes to finding a unique name for your male dog, you often have to think outside the box. A distinct name can show your pup’s importance in the family, while an unusual word might be the perfect choice.
Here are some of the most charming, cute and unique names just right for your four-legged male companion that convey deep emotion and love:
- Ambrosia – meaning “love of God”
- Anubis – meaning “mythical god”
- Buddha – a symbol of wisdom
- Caesar – asking for strength
- Davoud – asking for peace/love
- Ezra – asking advantages from providence
- Fenrir – Scandinavian loyalty total devotion
- Gideon – God is my judge
- Harvey – battle worthy
- Indrajit– conqueror of Indra (God of rain)
- Johan– expressing love and care
- Keegan– manifesting strength attractive
- Lazarus– boundless zeal help
- Mordecai– warrior’s man/water man
- Neville– from new town
- Odin– Norse supreme god
- PapaBear—protector and guide
- Raymond—shining advisable counsel
- Stanley—stony field/place lovely place
- Ulysses––painful one/hated one
- Winston––joyful friend
- Xavier——splendid bright
- Yudhishthira—firm righteous
- Zeus —king ruler
Cute Female Dog Names
Choosing the perfect dog name can be a difficult task, but it can also be a lot of fun. When deciding on a female dog name, you may want to choose something sweet and cute that reflects your pup’s personality.
From unique monikers to classic names, browse through these top 10 female dog names with meanings of love to find the best fit for your pet.
- Anya: Meaning “grace” in Russian
- Bella: Meaning “beautiful” in Italian and Spanish
- Gigi: Meaning “loved one” in French
- Honey: A sweet nickname symbolizing love and affection
- Kimi: Meaning “she who is without equal” in Japanese
- Lola: A cutesy variation of Latin name Dolores
- Maya: From an ancient Sanskrit language meaning “illusion”
- Nina: Meaning “little girl” or “graceful one” across many cultures
- Otila: Meaning “luxurious and wealthy one” in Spanish
- Veda: Means “knowledge or awareness” in Sanskrit
Cool Dog Names
Finding the perfect name for your furry friend can be a challenging yet rewarding experience. Dog names should be special and meaningful. If you are looking for cool dog names with meaning of love, you have come to the right place.
This section will provide some ideas for your pup’s new name that will be truly special:
Cool Male Dog Names
Cool male dog names can make selecting a name for your pup easier and more exciting. While there are always popular trends and timeless classics, finding an uncommon and unique moniker that speaks to you, your pup, or their personality is ultimately the best choice.
When making the final decision on that cool name, remember that it will most likely be with your dog for their entire life – so choose wisely!
Here are some of the coolest names we could think of to get you started:
These cool yet sophisticated titles will give Fido all the street cred he desires.
Selecting a strong yet meaningful name to represent him is sure to remind you of his lovable qualities any time you shout it from across the park!
Cool Female Dog Names
There is nothing cooler than giving your pup a name that reflects their personality. Whether they are gentle and compassionate or goofy and energetic, it can be comforting to have a name that accurately reflects your furry best friend’s unique character.
Here are some cool female dog names that embody the spirit of love:
Most importantly, make sure the name you choose is something you and your dog both love – it will be with them for life!